Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Getting Side Tracked & The DLO Production of "Guys and Dolls"

Since my last post in August, I have gotten side tracked by other projects -- finding choir music for the annual Community Thanksgiving Service and searching for a Christmas cantata for my church choir. As soon as I got those organized, I was asked if I would play piano for the Danville Light Opera's (DLO) production of Guys and Dolls. I was asked to do this three weeks before the first performance, so I have been busy trying to learn about 200 pages of music.

While learning music for a musical is not usually a huge problem for me, I am a good sight reader and am familiar with this music, I have run into difficulties this time. The cause of the difficulties lies in the fact that this is one of those old hand-written scores that is difficult to read in its full size form, and becomes more difficult when the 9 x 12 format is reduced to fit the page on 8.5 x 11 paper. In many spots, it is difficult to tell to which notes the accidentals belong, and each time looks different. Yes, I could make notes to remind me, but with such a short time to learn all of those pages, that idea goes by the wayside. In addition, hand-written scores are notorious for mistakes, some of which are not obvious until you play with the pit orchestra. Also, note placement on leger lines can be a bit random at times. Oh well, such is the life of a pianist.

The performances will be held at The Dick Van Dyke Auditorium at Danville High School on October 24, 25, and 26. Friday and Saturday, 24th and 25th, performances will be at 7:30 pm, and the Sunday the 26th performance will be at 2:00. It promises to be a good show.

For more information and to purchase tickets on-line, click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment